[wp-hackers] WP Plug-in Manager

Jason goldsmith unteins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:13:48 UTC 2004

> Hold on a second, a download count combined with user
> ratings is pretty much how download.com works - as do
> most sites like that.

Yeah and yet still I get tons of completely crappy programs from those
sites....with amazing user ratings of 80% thumbs up on 8 out of 10
votes and 400,000 downloads....

I don't object to a rating system or a download count but those aren't
useful USAGE metrics. Usage means that the plugin is actually in
use....not downloaded, not rated highly, but actually in use by users.

Even a phone home system isn't perfect as it requires users to turn on
phoning home, but it certainly is more useful than the others.

>If a plugin totally sucks and
> sends spam to your wp install or whatever, then it's
> not going to be included in the wp plugin directory to
> being with, right?

But then we'd need a keeper of the keys to the plugin kingdom....and
then some plugin developer doesn't want to deal with the approval
process and then he starts up YAYAWPPR (Yet Another Yet Another
WordPress Plugin Repository)

An just so no one thinks I am talking completely out of my rear end I
have tried to get plugin developers who were selling commercial
plugins to participate in these types of repositories and they
couldn't be bothered or found the sites too restrictive and created
their own...