[wp-hackers] Licensing

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Jun 25 16:35:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 11:53 -0400, Owen Winkler wrote:
> > But, really, everyone should be using the GPL.  WordPress is GPL.
>
> What I find lacking in the GPL is attribution.  Nothing requires a
> sublicensor to include references to those who produced the code at the
> core of the copyright.  If they change the written copyright in the
> code, which seems within the bounds of the GPL, then any attribution is
> lost.
>
> The plugins I have written met my personal needs long ago, and have only
> continued to aid the community.  I don't know about the rest of you, but
> I write my plugins for glory.  I'm interested in maintaining this
> attribution, and for this I find GPL disappointing.

Well, there's this:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IWantCredit

I want to get credit for my work. I want people to know what I wrote.
Can I still get credit if I use the GPL?

        You can certainly get credit for the work. Part of releasing a
        program under the GPL is writing a copyright notice in your own
        name (assuming you are the copyright holder). The GPL requires
        all copies to carry an appropriate copyright notice.

Regardless, the GPL is the license of WordPress and all combined and
derived works of WordPress, whether we like it or not.

Ryan

Standard Disclaimer: IANAL