[wp-hackers] Licensing

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Jun 25 15:53:41 UTC 2004

> But, really, everyone should be using the GPL.  WordPress is GPL.

What I find lacking in the GPL is attribution.  Nothing requires a
sublicensor to include references to those who produced the code at the
core of the copyright.  If they change the written copyright in the
code, which seems within the bounds of the GPL, then any attribution is
lost.

The plugins I have written met my personal needs long ago, and have only
continued to aid the community.  I don't know about the rest of you, but
I write my plugins for glory.  I'm interested in maintaining this
attribution, and for this I find GPL disappointing.

Owen