[wp-hackers] Licensing

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Jun 25 15:20:51 UTC 2004

Jason goldsmith said:
> If you use WordPress code in your plugins, then you would need to
> release under GPL. I don't know if this applies to calling WordPress
> functions or not.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins
"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls
to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single
program, so plug-ins must be treated as extensions to the main program.
This means they must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free
software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when
those plug-ins are distributed."

Unless your plugin uses no internal WordPress data structures, I think
you're legally obligated to license your plugins under the GPL.