[wp-hackers] WP Plug-in Manager

Doug Daulton ddaulton at ursastudios.com
Fri Jun 25 06:44:46 UTC 2004

A couple of thoughts ...

1. This is a great idea.  It will greatly expand the usability of WP for
the non-technical masses.

2.  To the concern that the XML-RPC interface makes this spyware, the
solution is very simple ... communication.  Making it very clear that if
the Plugin Manager is enabled, it will sort through the DB to see which
plugins you have and which could use an update.  Then, make it really
simple to disable the Plugin Manger.  Then, the functionality exists and
those that have privacy concerns can turn it off all together.

3. Central tracking of plugin installs and regular usage is a good
idea.  It gives hard metrics to the devs so they can make decisions
about tuning the WP core to work well with the most popular plugins
and/or pulling said plugins into the Core as a default or optional
feature.  These metrics take the guess work out of the process.

4. There is no need for central storage of the plugins.
Plugin devs can maintain their distros on their own sites and provide
the centralized DB a link to the source.  Then, the central plugin
directory can pullover the code to the central server without the dev
having to maintain the distro elsewhere.  The only thing required might
be a common RDF document which is held in the devs downloads dir and
describes each download and any pertinent data.  When registering a
plugin with the central plugin DB, devs would provide a link to the RDF
on their site.  The central plugin DB would parse the RDF and figure out
what it needed.

Basically, what is being described is something similar to Windows
Update or ROM/apt-get/emerge in the Linux/BSD world.  Obviously,
everyone would have to agree on what that RDF should look like but
common sense elements would include:

a. Plugin Name
b. Version
c. Author(s)
d. Release Date
e. Download URI
f. Docs URI

I have some other, general thought on development practices, but I'll
make that a separate post so as not to confuse the issue.

Doug