[wp-hackers] Modifying admin forms via plugins

Stephen O'Connor steve at stevarino.com
Wed Jun 23 06:46:44 UTC 2004

Thanks for the compliments and the endorsements! Four things I picked up
from the discussion so far:

First, you are not required to include anything you don't want. You do not
HAVE TO specify a gui, or an install, or an uninstall. The framework is
clever enough to figure out what you specified and plan the user's
experience around that.

Second, I like the idea of a framework-controlled option/setting feature.
This could really simplify code on the plugin end and help keep the database
tidy. I'll be sure to include this point in v1.0.

Third, these plugins can be backwards compatible. The reason I specified a
class is that no un-needed functions clutter WP's tighter-by-the-day
namespace. Regular hooks, filters, and actions will work just fine. This
framework is aimed at enhancing existing plugins and making seemingly
impossible plugins possible. :)

And lastly, you are free to do whatever you like to this code. It has a good
bit of gpl'd WP code already in it, so I doubt I can be too selfish about
it. ;) One recommendation though: I think it's a bad idea to include the
framework with the plugin as that can confuse end-users and potentially
overwrite a newer version. A better plan would be to include a message in
the plugin-description with something along the lines of "This plugin
requires the Plugin Framework" and link to
http://stevarino.com/wp/framework/

Thanks again!

- Stephen