[wp-hackers] Modifying admin forms via plugins

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Jun 23 05:34:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 00:09, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 22:00, Stephen O'Connor wrote:
> >

> >>And the plugin extensiblility/configuration/gui thing? Didn't I already do
> >>that?
> >>
> >>Somebody even mentioned "framework" in this discussion, which is
> >>perfect cause guess what I called it!
> >>
> >>http://stevarino.com/wp/framework/
> >>

> >Looks good.  However, there are several proposed frameworks out there.
> >

> I also like what Stephen has made, you mention several proposed
> frameworks - any references to them?

Some haven't been discussed publicly yet.  Remember, this list is young.

I had something very similar to Stephen, except that classes weren't
required.  I just stuck some extra fields in the plugin header.  For
example:

Activation-Hook: activate_function_name
Deactivation-Hook: deactivate_function_name

Stephen, on the the other hand, adds a "Load:" header that specifies a
class to load.  The class is expected to have certain methods defined,
such as install and uninstall.

Both frameworks basically do the same thing, but mine doesn't require a
class.  Some may think that an advantage, some may not.  The approaches
are largely the same, however.

Anyway, I wrote it a couple months ago and haven't bothered with it
lately.  Stephen's implementation is more complete and could be adapted
to service either style.

Ryan