[wp-hackers] Re: $single

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Jun 20 22:32:47 UTC 2004

> Here's what I have:
>
> is_single()
> is_date()
> is_category()
> is_author()
> is_archive() = date || category || author
> is_search()
> is_feed()
>
> These return true or false.

Some people have asked for this code, so here it is.  WP_Query_State is
a class that holds the states.  If you pass a query string to its
constructor or to its parse_query method, it will set the states
appropriately.  I create a global $wp_query_state instance and have
is_single() and friends use that.  You can include the attached file
from wp-blog-header.php and call
$wp_query_state->parse_query($query_string) to get the states set.

If we were to put this in WP, I would probably create a classes.php as a
counterpart to functions.php that would contain WP_Query_State and
possibly other small classes.  Each class would have a global instance
created by default that template tags could use.  I would put
is_single(), etc. in template-functions-general.php, most likely.  Or
maybe just in functions.php.

Ryan