[wp-hackers] Wordpress User Authentication

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Sat Jun 19 18:21:03 UTC 2004

I agree with Simon. Pluggable authentication would open new doors of
possibilities. There've been many attempts at making Portals out of
Forums like phpBB, Invision, vB etc., many of them have succeded. But
when I go around at forums, I've heard a lot of people complaining that
they can't integrate their Blog with their forum or portal & the only
choices that they have is that either they hack away themselves or they
get a software that has both forum/portal with a Blog. But imagine if
integrating WP with phpBB or Invision or vB becomes as easy as clicking
a link or 2 & setting a couple of vars!! It'll be nothing short of a
revolution, I mean we know that WP is the best Blog tool you can get
written in PHP. And integrating it with the best forums would be just
beyond cool. It would be super cool.
Besides, if a guy has a CMS & wants to integrate WP with it so he can
manage it with the admin area of his CMS, it would be a relief rather
than logging in WP admin seperately.

Just a couple of thoughts from my side, but I think that this won't end
here. ;)

Amit Gupta

-------------- Original Message from Simon Willison< swillison at gmail.com
<mailto:swillison at gmail.com> > --------------
I'd just like to note that for me, pluggable authentication would be
an absolutely killer feature. I've lost count of the number of times
I've been burnt by the need to run multiple authentication schemes
just because I'm running different scripts that each have their own
way of manaing the user list. If WP could share it's auth system AND
had the additional option of tying in to someone elses through a
simple API proxy I would be a very happy camper. It could also lead to
much more interesting WordPress add-ons, which essentially act as
whole new applications which tie in to WordPress's authentication.

Here's something: if WordPress had a good API for authentication,
people could write "bridge" hacks/modifications for other open source
apps to get them to authenticate against WordPress. For example, I'm a
big fan of Tavi Wiki ( http://tavi.sourceforge.net/ ). For some wikis,
authentication can be very useful (e.g a private wiki for tracking
notes). It would be very cool if someone wrote a Tavi plugin/hack that
added authentication against WordPress. Of course, it's possible to do
this right now by running queries directly against the WordPress user
database table but it would be far neater using API functions.

I'm sure these functions already exist, but expressly documenting them
as "stable" for other apps to authenticate against would be a huge
boost.