[wp-hackers] Static content plugin

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat Jun 19 03:04:40 UTC 2004

Jason wrote:

> There's all this talk about plugins for static content, but wouldn't it
> make more sense to contribute to the conversation about how the new
> static post_status should be used as opposed to reinventing the wheel? I
> like the idea of making it available on the Advanced Editing screen. I
> also think they should be excluded from all normal post queries unless
> explicity included, so they would (normally) only be accessible via
> their IDs or a (special) mod_rewrite rule. Something like that would not
> take too much work at all and could easily be made available in the next
> version of WP, if not in the CVS sometime in the near future. It seems
> like such a frequent request that it should be built in, not a plugin.

Yes, all of the infrastructure is already in place with 1.2. This is on
purpose. I don't think it should be another radio button on the post
screen would be ideal though, it really needs its own unique interface, a
separate tab even. Sub-pages? Use post_parent. Making a menu of top-level
pages? SELECT * FROM wp_posts WHERE post_status = 'static' AND post_parent
= 0. Etc etc etc.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...