[wp-hackers] Static content plugin

Jason wphackers at jasonverber.info
Sat Jun 19 01:43:17 UTC 2004

Ryan Boren wrote:

>I agree, although I'd like to work out some nomenclature.  We have
>"static" posts and "hidden" categories going around.  I think these all
>boil down to being "standalone".  That is, exclude me from the regular
>lists, I'll do my own thing.  This is simply an "exclude me" flag.  If
>we integrate this, I'd like to look at the big picture of what people
>are doing with static and hidden and see where the common ground and
>terminology lies.  I think most of these boil down to "standalone", but
>I have looked all of the related plugins and hacks yet.
>
>Ryan

I see what you mean about finding the common ground. It seems to me post
status might be the direction to go for some of these things, as opposed
to hidden categories. Having "static" and "sticky" as choices for status
would allow people to do a lot of things, like have posts only show up
when linked to directly (static) or always stay on top (sticky) while
still being able to use categories the way they always have. That being
said, I think there may still be a reason to have "hidden" categories,
whatever that reason may be.

Post status makes sense to me because each of these are (as far as I can
see) mutually exclusive. If it's a draft nobody can see it, if it's
published it shows up normally, if it's sticky it shows up on top, and
if it's static it doesn't show up unless you specifically link to it. It
also seems to me that this way we wouldn't be misusing categories: if a
post is sticky, that's a property of the post, not a classification.

Jason