[wp-hackers] For those who don't subscribe to the wp docs mailing list:

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:51:04 UTC 2004

If we are moving over to MediaWiki, then we could learn from our
experiences to give a basic shape, and organization to the pages, to
make for a better organized wiki.

For example, we could use some hierarchy, with all the individual
template tags being sub-pages of the TemplateTag page, and the
UserManual having N section subpages, and each of those having M
subpages, if neccesary.

Another thing is that we can insist on, and follow a standard for the
naming of new pages, and implement some editing standards. The casual
user/editor needn't worry about this too much, these can be standards
for pages, not users :) In short, let's lay down a proper skeletal
structure on which to build strong documentation. The wikipedia can
yield a lot of ideas for suitable guidelines, and we sure can use
their experience.

I am really excited, perhaps, around the time WP 2.0 comes out, we
could even have a thriving community running off of the wiki,
wikipedia style :)

I am drooling, already :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_feature_list

Regards,
Carthik.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:35:38 -0400, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> > Carthik Sharma wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to see MediaWiki used, too!
> >> Moving over could be a doc project, with well assigned roles, and
> >> should not take too long.
> >>
> >> Let's write a phwiki to mediawiki converter/importer :) (Just kidding)
> >

> > The main disadvantage I'm seeing right now is it doesn't support
> > sub-pages. Wait I take that back, it has very advanced subpage support:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Subpages
> >
> > Okay, I'm totally sold. :)
> >

> I'll help migrate.  Maybe a couple volunteers could split the current
> pages alphabetically?  I'll take all the Z pages! ;)

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net