[wp-hackers] function_exists - user woes

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 13:24:13 UTC 2004

Usually the end user just copies the code that the plugin author gives
them, so the plugin author could provide code, whether it be the
function_exists thing, or something else, that the user can plug into
his pages.
Why not provide a better way of checking if Plugin X is activated?
That could be a wordpress function that works like
if (plugin_activated('plugin_name'') (then do this);

Carthik.

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:39:43 +0200, Brian Meidell <brian at mindflow.dk> wrote:

> Alex King wrote:
>
> > "One thing I don't get about the WP 1.2 plugins, they all generally give
> > you new functionality that you expose by adding tags, etc. into the
> > template. If someone then disables the plugin without removing those
> > tags, their blog will break. The plugin enabling/disabling mechanism is
> > nice and interactive (and it makes people feel good), but I think it
> > gives them the false impression that they can control more than they
> > actually can by simply clicking things on and off on the plugins page."
>
> It must sound like I am on a plugging rampage with this easytags thing,
> but I really am not. I would probably use PHP myself in any case, and
> the plugin isn't something I feel strongly about. It took 5 minutes to
> write. It's just seems that I see a lot of problems mentioned that could
> be handled gracefully by this plugin, if only the preconditions are
> there (returning functions).
>
> EasyTags fails gracefully if you were using a tag that relied on a
> plugin function. The result will be a HTML comment that saying that the
> field used was unknown.
>
> If EasyTags itself was disabled, the litter left in the HTML code would
> be XML compliant tags whose biggest crime would be to break XHTML
> validation.
>
> /Brian

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net