[wp-hackers] login / security

ayj & j yllyn at clear.net.nz
Fri Jul 30 11:25:15 UTC 2004

My understanding is that traditional htaccess relies on browser supplied
referrer and / or cookie data and is not robust in the slightest. You can
(and many people do) download browsers that walk straight through it. AFAIK
really solid authentification  security requires

1: effective authentification
2: server side tracking following authentification
3: additional checks eg IP collection, and statistical protection techniques

I don't claim personally to be anything like an expert and I may be quite
wrong on this - if so I am happy to learn from it. But I have done some
investigation of the issues with someone that definitely is an expert.

I would add that IMO the potential security risks associated with the edit
capability of the php script makes security something that cannot be lightly
passed over.

Andrew