[wp-hackers] function_exists - user woes

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Jul 30 07:52:12 UTC 2004

chuckg at cirkeljerk.blindmuse.com wrote:

> Can't we just add a note to the plugins page that says "don't make
> stupid
> generic names that ruin everyone elses well written code because you are
> too lazy to come up with an original name for a general function which
> is probably already built into WP in the first place!" *gah*

You're talking about function conflicts, which is also something to watch
out for. Your advice (namespace the function) is very good and plugin
authors should follow it. However in this case a function was defined in a
plugin and used in a template, then when the plugin was turned off she got
a "function not defined" error from her template. What you're referring to
would be a "function already defined" error.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...