[wp-hackers] function_exists - user woes

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 05:36:44 UTC 2004

Note for Plugin Authors :
from http://sweth.com/index.php?p=65  :

Earlier today, for example, the entire site was crippled apparently
because I deactivated a plugin and didn't remove some corresponding
code from one of the pages; if you have to hack things in order to
make the plugin work (which it seems like almost every plugin I've
tried requires), then it ain't a plugin, it's a hack. (Especially
since I just, Googling quickly and having never written a line of
original PHP code, found the function_exists php function, which would
seem to make it trivial for plugin authors to at least make their page
hacks modular enough that turning off the corresponding plugin doesn't
break anything, if only those authors would spend ten minutes making
their hacks self-aware. (Laziness is a virtue in programmers, but not
Foolish Laziness.))

Important points :
"if you have to hack things in order to make the plugin work (which it
seems like almost every plugin I've tried requires), then it ain't a
plugin, it's a hack."
"function_exists"

:)
Carthik.

--
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net