[wp-hackers] A template tag proposal

jonner.1979671 at bloglines.com jonner.1979671 at bloglines.com
Tue Jul 27 21:30:12 UTC 2004

I kind of like this, but if you do it, i would highly suggest a more standard
xml-ish format, e.g. <wp:author/> with closing slash.  That way, standard
xml tools could possibly be used, and any text editors that automatically
highlight and indent html / xml code wouldn't get screwed up by an unclosed
tag.

jonner

--- hackers at wordpress.org wrote:

> The alternative could
be using the easytags code I've made with the same

> functions, but where
they return all of them.

> Instead of writing:

> <?php the_author()
?>

> you could write

> <wp:author> or <wp:the_author>

> If we had a
consistent the_ naming convention, we could even use

> <wp:author>. All
future calls conforming to this naming pattern would

> work automatically
work with easytags, and the added benefit is that

> every single function
exists as a returning function as well. Double

> functionality, no clutter.

> Easytags only works with returning functions because of the fact that

> it's impossible (at least according to my attempts) to use the echoing

> functions in a ob_start callback.

> EasyTags: http://meidell.dk/blog/files/easytags.phps

> It's short, sweet and the tags can be made as user friendly as you could

> want, while the programmers get their returning functions.

> Just
an idea.