[wp-hackers] What goes in core and plugins

smea gol logicus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 03:31:17 UTC 2004

AFAIK, OO is more resource intensive as well as slower. Insofar as the
current API is managable and useable it's probably better for the sake
of speed to stick with functions.

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:20:59 -0500, Alex <nessence at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about making the Plug-in API an object?
>

> Alex
>

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:52:59 -0500, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> > Since this came up in a previous thread I thought that this would be a
> > good time to sort out my thoughts on this.
> >
> > We have two main goals with WordPress: to have an elegant product that
> > works well and to provide the best user experience possible. Part of
> > providing the best experience is having features that people want.
> >
> > At the same time we have another goal we're working toward: making the
> > plugin API as flexible as possible (without becoming too complicated) so
> > people can easily address niche needs with WordPress.
> >
> > There are things in WP now that arguably don't absolutely need to be
> > there, but everything is a balance and a process. So with every feature
> > three questions need to be asked:
> >
> > 1. Will this appeal to a broad spectrum of users?
> > 2. How does this change the way things currently work?
> > 3. If this were a plugin, would it work?
> >
> > Also remember just because something is a plugin doesn't mean it's
> > destined for obscurity. As we streamline how plugins are cataloged and
> > publicized  Right now there are a few plugins included with the WP
> > distribution and I'd like to tidy this up a bit and even move some
> > functionality that's currently in the core into plugins that can be turned
> > on and off.
> >
> > --
> > Matt Mullenweg
> >   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> > http://pingomatic.com | more soon...

"One has no right to existence or to work, to say nothing of a right
to "happiness": the individual human being is in precisely the same
case as the lowest worm.
Nietzsche "The will to power" pg. 398