[wp-hackers] WP Plugin site.

Henning Seljenes henning.seljenes at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 01:23:35 UTC 2004

I had a couple ideas I wanted to chime in on and see what others thought:

John Watson said:

"Although the GPL says that anyone can distribute GPL code, it could be
a guideline of the wp plugins site that only the author of a plugin
can submit a plugin to the repository."

I think the site admins should first approach the plugin developer
with a few options. 1) The developer create a login on the site to be
able to post news about new versions (and upload a mirror copy of
their plugin if they'd like) or 2) allow the site admins to post news
for the developer (and provide mirrors if the developer allows.

Tara Star said:

"I would use categories to narrow down the plugin functionality, and why
not (as wp allows multiple categories), another category for authors,
and maybe others..."

Each plugin should be given its own category to allow quick access to
all the news posts about that particular plugin. Giving a category to
each author may be a bit accessive, as if the developer creates
his/her own log in name you could sort by their posts.

Each plugin should also get a link to the author homepage to allow
users to quickly jump from the front page to the plugin homepage
without having to search through posts.

If authors have decided to create their own log in name to post news,
there should be a few guidelines developers must follow to make a new
post to avoid clutter. First, only a "major" release should recieve a
new post. Things that shouldn't recieve a new post are simple bug
fixes or talking about future features to be added (these can be added
to the end of a post about a new "major" release).

I'm really looking forward to seeing if this site gets up,

-- Henning Seljenes