[wp-hackers] Unapproved, yet not waiting for moderation

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Sat Jul 24 20:45:23 UTC 2004

At 13:07 -0700 7/24/04, Kitty wrote:

>I've found the best thing for this is to save the 'please approve'
>emails. That way I don't have to use the blog interface to analyse spam.

    That only works for posts that actually get caught in the
moderation queue.  I'm more interested in preserving posts that got
past the moderation filters (on a site that doesn't require every
comment to be approved, obviously) and that the administrators don't
want to have publicly displayed but do want to keep around for future
analysis.
    Since posting before, I've taken a crack at implementing my own
solution for this, and so far it's working quite nicely.  It
primarily involved modifying comment_approved to use '0','1','2' as
its values, adding a "spamsaved.php" in the administrative interface,
modifying the other "Edit" subpages, and extending two functions.
This is more core-file editing than I'd like for a publicly released
mod, though.
    I was wondering if there is (or will be) a way for plugins to
"de-register" existing functions and register its own functions that
use the same names.  So, for example, I'd like to be able (from
within a plugin) to have WP ignore the 'wp_*_comment_status'
functions found in 'functions.php' in favor of using the modified
versions in the plugin.  Can it be done?  It's probably one of those
basic "how'd he hack anything without knowing that?" questions, but
hey, gotta learn somewhere.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric at meyerweb.com)    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting  http://www.complexspiral.com/