[wp-hackers] possible permanent post and edit page modifications

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Fri Jul 23 15:19:45 UTC 2004

>The current comment form doesn't display a "comments are moderated"
>notice in the case that comments are moderated globally.  I would expect
>that this part of your hack would require a code change/addition on the
>comments page by the user even if you condensed the working bits into a
>plugin.
>
>Under 1.3 (and with a little craftiness under 1.2) you can push new
>property members into each post of the $posts array that could specify
>moderation status for each post from a plugin.  My Adhesive plugin
>modifies the date of a sticky post in this way.

After a while, it's just as easy to modify the form than to play with
the craftiness, don't you think?

>>More than that, if I were to get hit by a comment spammer,
>>this is going to be a problem.
>>

>I'm not sure why.  Your plugin could reset the comment_approved field to
>false before the page was finished executing and nobody would ever see
>it.  If you registered your plugin at a high priority, it could act
>before other plugins that acted on approved comments.

If I were hit by a comment spammer putting in several hundred comments
at once, this type of insert and update is probably going to cause
problems. Not to mention the duplicate emails going out (once for the
new comment, once for moderation).

>>Overall it would be just easier to have per-post moderation
>>included as part of the source.
>>

>Overall, it would just be easier to have any old feature included as
>part of the source, but I'm sure that my hack to turn every "e" in posts
>into a picture of a donkey wouldn't be appreciated by the masses.
>
>Still, while I admit an interest in specific feature, I would much
>rather see the plugin architecture augmented to better allow plugin
>features like this.

Agree -- that's why I have several other modifications that I'm not
bringing up here. Either they're plug-ins that people can just use, or I
don't think the interest in them is broad enough, so I settle for
documenting the mod at my site, and help people make the changes if they
need them.

But these two changes have received a great deal of positive feedback.
Enough to make me think that if the WP developers are incorporating the
modification to ping a site when a category is updated, that these
changes would be just as valid. But before I wrapped these and sent
these off to the WP team, I wanted to get feedback from this list. These
do require infrstracture changes. However, unless someone points out a
bug, I'll probably make the code changes to the edit forms, the upgrade
applications (for the database change), the blog header for the preview,
and wp-post-comments.php for the moderation and just send the code off
to the developers.

Now, if your update to change an 'e' to a picture of a donkey also has
fairly widespread approval, then I would think that the WP folks would
want to look at adding this in, too.

>For example, if there isn't a hook (or it's in the wrong place) to
>prevent comments from going into the database in the first place
>(allowing custom comment filters???) seems a failing.

Actually, I don't see the comment plug-in hook in 1.2 either. Just in
1.3, and after the database update is made.

Unless I'm missing them.

Shelley