[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Craig Hartel milquetoast at telus.net
Sat Jul 17 02:08:54 UTC 2004

Guys and gals,

All great feedback, and I have read everything with great interest and with the
respect due to your many talents, abilities, and experiences.

Here are a few of my specific thoughts which may or may not raise some more
comments and suggestions:

This site is for users. It's not for hackers. What I mean by that, is that my
plans are to serve the community's needs first and foremost. The needs of the
authors will be accommodated to the very best of my abilities, but they are
secondary to the user needs.

I will not host anything that is not expressly permitted by any author.

Links to authors will be a link to the site, or specific section dealing with
the plugin. It will not be a link to a download. Many sites have Google AdSense,
and PayPal opportunities, and I believe that every author is entitled to expect
that any user of their work might help out by click-throughs or direct donations.

The structure of the new Mozilla updates site was mentioned, and I do like some
aspects of that idea.

I see no reason why authors could not have donation links on the wp-plugin site.
I'm not sure of the logistics of such a thing, but perhaps a link to their
donation link might be a plausible alternative.

I don't really want the site to be a support site in the sense of the current
wp.org support forums. Rather, I would be more agreeable to provide a way of
sending feedback to the authors from the site, as well as providing a link to
the wp.org support site and / or the WP Wiki.

I'd like the site to be a nice clean design. I don't want to overwhelm visitors
with a myriad of things that are irrelevant to their experience.

A listing would contain information on the purpose of the plugin, at least a
screen shot, a link or two to a working example or demo, a link to the author's
site, the license under which it is provided, and the date of publishing. Maybe
someone can create a plugin that will allow authors to pingback to the site when
they post an update and any new information can be posted automagically on the
plugin site.

Just some thoughts. All are open for discussion and debate. I'd rather do this
right from the start than make a mess of it and have users and authors not
bother with the site at all.

Craig.