[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Jul 16 20:33:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Tor Bjornrud wrote:

> > 2) People who would prefer to host their own plugins, for whatever
> > reason,
> >    can do so, but should offer a copy up for the WP plugin page,
> >    including any updates to said plugin. This copy would not be shown
> > on
> >    the WP page *unless* the primary site was unavailable for an
> > extended
> >    period and the developer had not offered a change of location.
> >
> > I'd say a reasonable time for 'extended period' is two weeks, though,
> > as with anything, that's debatable.
>
> I'm a bit confused as to #2. Is this period a timeframe from the
> beginning of the offering of the plugin?  Where if the developer keeps
> the plugin hosted for the "period" WP will host it indefinitely?  Or
> are you envisioning something where the plugin will be hosted as long
> as the developer's site stays alive for a two week period, and if it
> goes down, the plugin will be temporarily disabled?

I missed a word that made it unclear.

People who would prefer to host their own plugins THEMSELVES....

As long as the developer's site stays alive, the WP site would link to the
developer's site.

If the developer's site goes down for a given period, then the copy that
has been sent to the WP site (but not made public) is published ON the WP
site -- for the duration the developer's site is down.

If a developer changes sites and notifies the WP site, then the site link
is changed and the developer still hosts their WP plugins.

I think this strategy accomplishes all the stated goals:
1) A mirror (WP).
2) License compliance.
3) Allowing developers to host their own plugins.

--
_Deirdre  web: http://deirdre.net    blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"