[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Danny Dawson quasistoic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:53:56 UTC 2004

See below.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:04:34 +1200, Steve <steve at de-generationx.net> wrote:
> This is exactly the same idea I was working on putting together.
> Something for WP that is the equal in funcationality to mt-plugins but
> much more open.
>
> I was looking at doing it as a diretory in which categories were created
> and people just created links to the page where they released the plugin.

The problem with this approach: lots of dead links.  People change
their own websites much more frequently than the wp-plugins website
should be expected to change, and it can make it nearly impossible to
keep track of where to find a plugin.  My best example is the
audioscrobbler viewer plugin.  It was hosted on a personal site, and
when that site went belly-up, so did the plugin.  A shame, too.

> Craig Hartel wrote:
>
> > wp-plugins.org domain name has been purchased and I will be starting a
> > site very
> > soon. I'd like to canvas you all to get your thoughts and ideas on how
> > you would
> > like to see it set up.
> >
> > How about a blog style, with categories for the plugins, and the
> > sub-categories
> > would be the authors?
> >
> > What about a forum-style thing?
> >
> > I don't really want to be a support site, more of a portal through
> > which to find
> > all the great stuff you folks have created.

I think having the forum ability would be useful.  When I'm trying to
install a plugin and need assistance, it's nice when all the helpful
information is located in one place.

> > I'd like to include screen grabs where appropriate, and, of course, a
> > list of
> > sites that have implemented the plugin if it is also appropriate to do
> > so.
> >
> > I thought about doing reviews as well based on these factors, as an
> > example:
> > - Quality of documentation
> > - Ease of installation (more for new bloggers' information, really)
> > - Functionality
> > - Added value to WP experience.
> > This is not to do anything more than try to provide a perspective.
> > It's not
> > about getting a rating, rather it's about being One with the Zen of the
> > WordPress concept of "Code is Poetry." We WP users hold the software
> > in high
> > regard, and the related plugin work should uphold the same principles.
> >
> > No plugin is too complex, too primitive, too big, nor too small.
> >
> > Let the discussion begin! I am open to everything, and have not made any
> > decisions on anything other than the domain name.
> >
> > Craig.
> > NuclearMoose.

Danny Dawson
http://quasistoic.org/ts/