[wp-hackers] sticky posts plugins

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Jul 9 18:07:03 UTC 2004

> There are three sticky post plugins now!
>
> Folks, please check if the wheel you want is already available :)

Actually, the first one you listed was mine, the second one you listed
was mine, and the third one you listed wasn't in the Wiki (or anywhere
else that I tried to download it!).  But there are a couple of sticky
plugins.

Nonetheless, my sticky plugin works differently- You don't modify
anything to get stickies to appear, just enable the plugin.  Even though
you don't edit anything, it still adds a convenient "Sticky" checkbox to
the editor.  It also doesn't require any database changes, since it uses
the 1.2 meta fields (which incidentally makes it compatible with at
least one other sticky plugin that *does* require core code changes,
making mine an improvement for upgradability).  Sticky posts in my
plugin also appear only in the categories to which they've been
assigned.

It's really very different.

> There are two Recent Commenters plugins too.

The two Recent Commenter plugins do totally different stuff, too.  One
just lists the last X chronological comments.  Useful, but not as
impressive as what the other one does - lists the last X unique posts
with the newest comments.  Also very different beasts.

My new wheels will have inflatable rubber tubes and high-performance
carbon-fiber rims.  You can keep rolling around on that shaped wood with
spokes if you like.  :)

Owen