[wp-hackers] GPL licensing.

Mike Little mike at zed1.com
Sun Jul 4 20:14:57 UTC 2004

Carthik Sharma wrote:
> Should ==  2. To be obliged; must.
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=should
> Also,
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=should&x=15&y=17
>
> Carthik.
>
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:46:48 -0600, Alex King <alex at alexking.org> wrote:
>
>>should != must
>>
>>--Alex
>>
>>http://www.alexking.org/

In this case it *does* equal 'must'. If it isn't copyrighted then it
cannot be GPL. The legality of the GPL relies on there being a copyright
owner who has the right to enforce the license.

The problem comes when you get a one man product expanded into a
community effort. It can get messy as to who contributed what and thus
owns the copyright, (you /can/ then get personal politics involved, but
not always).

For example, I understand that (almost) all of the original B2 would
have been copyright Michel Valdrighi. Though there is only one file
which claims that (and that copyright notice was added by Alex). Stuff
that is clearly imported from other packages is correctly identified
(class.POP3, xmlrpc and xmlrpcs)

On the Wordpress side, again only third party imports and my link
manager stuff have copyright notices (though my original references to
the GPL have been removed).

Later stuff has a lot of contributors, Matt, myself, and lots of others.

I suspect that the best for WordPress would be to come up with a
copyright notice which acknowledges Michel's copyright of those
appropriate parts, the major solo contributions where appropriate or
already existent and perhaps has a general "WordPress project team"
(like the SquirrelMail Project Team from which project the
class.POP3.php file comes) for the rest. Someone should check, though,
whether that entity must 'exist' in some legal frame of reference.

Carthik is correct to raise the subject. This *must* be done for all the
non third-party source files. Both the copyright notice and the summary
of and reference to the GNU GPL license file.

Future contributions must be handled the same way too. That is, as has
already been raised, contributions which want to be part of the
WordPress 'product' must be either be GPL or compatible (including
Creative Commons *without* the URL link).

Again, bear in mind that the license is separate from the copyright but
that without a stated copyright notice (and copyright could, for
example, be assigned to "The WordPress Project Team"), the GPL cannot be
enforced.

Mike
--
Mike Little