[wp-hackers] GPL licensing.

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 15:57:05 UTC 2004

To quote, again :

The GPL license (you have a copy in your wordpress bundle) says

<b>The precise terms</b> and conditions for copying, distribution and
modification follow. :

And it goes on to say:
How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs
   ... To do so, attach the following notices to the program. It is
safest to attach them to the start of <b>each source file</b> to most
effectively convey the exclusion of warranty; and each file should
have at least the "copyright" line and a pointer to where the full
notice is found.

Here I stop quoting.

The part where it says "should have at least the "copyright" line and
...." is particularly of importance. Use of the word should in the
place of, say, May, shows that it is indeed a Requirement, as opposed
to an optional feature for the product to be GPL'ed.

WordPress complies to standards, and this is another standard we
should comply to, to ensure clarity about what's GPL'ed and what's not
in the wordpress package (where everything is/should be GPL'ed).

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:41:29 +0100, Joe Pritchard
<joe.pritchard at curious-hosting.co.uk> wrote:
> As an experiment I searched for 'GNU General Public License' in all the PHP
> files of the phpBB package, which I've recently used on a client site.
>
> Out of 77 PHP files found, 76 had the license text in.
>
> I'd probably suggest it's attached to everything you want to cover with the
> license so there's no question of confusion.
>
> Joe
>
> ---

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net