[wp-hackers] New Approach to Asides

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Dec 22 20:06:53 UTC 2004

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> Another good way, and a way that doesn't abuse something, the way using
> the category to designate size is an abuse, is to use the post meta to
> store a size=short value.
>
> What I would really REALLY like is the ability to hardcode meta choices
> in, so that you could make post size a dropdown list instead of having
> to type it in, like Expression Engine has.

Coincidentally, I just added UI to the Geo plugin for using the postmeta
data for geographic info.  (http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/GeoPlugin)

We don't necessarily need presets for postmeta values, because a plugin
can produce UI for it.  What *would* be nice is a way to prevent
WordPress from displaying postmeta records that are handled in this way
by plugins.

I propose a plugin hook that filters the results of the postmeta query,
so that plugins can remove values from the results before they're displayed.

BTW, I think this is a really good idea for implementing Asides.

Owen