[wp-hackers] Dashboard "focus"

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Mon Dec 20 04:18:21 UTC 2004

Kitty wrote:

>Then they should be told "no." It doesn't affect the public presentation
>of their blog, so customisation shouldn't be high on the list. With
>regular updates, the devblog would be the ideal to "push" info to users.
>Actually the feed should be modded to have the top item always point to
>codex. That might reduce some of the redundancy of forum posts.

Right.  The feed display doesn't affect the public presentation of their
blog - and so it's irrelevant in terms of what a person needs from their
admin console to get blogging done.  A simple "WordPress Update
Available" or "WordPress Security Notice" link when necessary and a
permanent link to codex is probably enough.

My first Dashboard plugin so far - a one-liner:

add_action('admin_menu', create_function('$a', 'global
$menu;unset($menu[0]);if($title==__(\'Dashboard\')) header("location:
post.php");'));

Loving the status quo,
Owen