[wp-hackers] A plugin repository

drDave drdave at unknowngenius.com
Sat Dec 11 06:15:28 UTC 2004

Matt,

Sounds like a great idea!

One feature I would really love to see with such a system is a way to
easily deploy each new version of a plugin. Basically a set of scripts
that would:
- package all necessary files for a release (possibly handle version
numbering inside the plugin itself)
- store them or upload them to a place where they can be downloaded
- notify users

Packaging is probably the easiest to do once we got an SVN running and
only requires a script similar to what you got for WP itself.
Storing the archive on your own server would be nice (provided you have
the bandwidth) but could possibly be worked out with another server.
Notification is what I really would like to see, and there are a few
different ways it could do it, depending on developers:
sending a ping to a specific entry on the dev blog (the one containing
info relative to the plugin) or interface with wp-plugins.net itself.
Wp-plugins.net already provides useful features to let developers
notify their users, like a Change Log and Update Notification (with
more on their way), it sounds to me like it could work very nicely in
complement to SVN: have the deployment script update the plugin's entry
in wp-plugins DB directly with the new version number, change log and
other useful data (the new archive URL if necessary, although I am
personally a fan of static non-version dependent archives for small
releases like plugins).
Of course, each step could be made optional and no plugins should be
forced to go through wp-plugins... although I know few plugin authors
that would mind exposing their plugin seamlessly to a few more hundred
WP users a day...

All this merely requires a bit of scripting and a small control page
that can be used by developers to trigger a new deployment.

I don't know about other devs, but I can speak for me and say this
would make my life a whole lot easier (no longer have to run a whole
repetitive and error-prone list of task each time I straighten up a
loose comma or add a small feature in a plugin).
Not to mention help users stay up to date with their plugins...

Anyway, let me know what you think and we can try to figure a way to
interface these...

Cheers,
--
Dave