[wp-hackers] Trackback and Pingback in WordPress

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Dec 8 10:33:07 UTC 2004

A few observations:

If you specify a Trackback URI and also link to that post in your entry,
a Trackback and a Pingback are both sent.  Granted, Pingback and
Trackback aren't synonymous... I like to think of pingback as "I linked
to you," and Trackback as "here's what I have to say about what you
said," but doesn't a Trackback imply a link?

Also, requiring manual input of trackback links is tiresome.  Honestly
it's the only thing I think Movable Type does better than WordPress.
Couldn't we add a per-post option to search for trackback URIs?
Obviously it would slow you down if you did it all the time... but if
you knew you were linking a blog that is TB enabled but not PB enabled,
you could check it.