[wp-hackers] XMLRPC Patches

Emmanuel Frécon emmanuel at sics.se
Tue Aug 31 14:04:22 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I am new to WP and to this list, so please excuse me if this is the
wrong way of contacting all of you.

I am in the process of moving a number of blogs from MT to WP and have
stumbled on a number of bugs/missing features in the process. I have
focused on the XMLRPC API since I am posting to these blogs using a home
brew client.

I have made available a number of my patches on my blog (this one is
still MT-driven :-( ). The entry below summarises more or less all of
the modifications that I have done and points to a patch file to apply
to the official 1.2 release. http://doping.sics.se/prof/archives/002365.html

Michel left a comment in another of my entries where he was considering
the inclusion of these combined patches into CVS. It is not yet there,
but that is probably a matter of time.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/cafelog/wordpress/xmlrpc.php?rev=1.73&view=auto

I am writing here to:

1. Make you aware of these patches so that you can use them if necessary.
2. Start some additional discussion on some other parts of the XMLRPC API.

I have noticed that the mt_keyword part of the MT extension to
metaWeblog is not supported. I quickly understood that this was because
WP was in theory more flexible through letting you associate any key/val
to any entries. There has been a number of posts floating around on this
list regarding the issue and I have seen a plugin that adds a better
(web) interface to these keywords. The problem is that the plugin does
not extends to the XMLRPC API, which would probably be a good idea (?).
Any takers, comments and ideas?

Another side of things that you will notice in my patches is that I have
started a new "standard" API where all calls start by wp. I needed badly
the function, which is why I added it that way. But perhaps is the
general idea a good thing, i.e. adding a bunch of WP specific XMLRPC
entries to access what makes WP different from the other blog systems.
The key/value interface that I was talking about in the previous
paragraph is an example of what could be defined there. Any thoughts?

--
New book: "Inhabited Information Spaces"
	  Book site: http://www.iisbook.com/

Emmanuel Frécon              Tel:         +46 8 633 1534
SICS                         Fax:         +46 8 751 7230
Box 1263                     Email:       emmanuel at sics.se
Isafjordsgatan 22            Static Web:  http://www.sics.se/~emmanuel/
SE-164 29 Kista              Dynamic Web: http://embrof.sics.se/

I filter all incoming Emails through several Spam filters. They
occasionally crunch real letters though.