[wp-hackers] XML-RPC rewrite

m at tidakada.com m at tidakada.com
Tue Aug 31 10:11:56 UTC 2004

Quoting Adam Keys <adam at trmk.org>:

> Matt mentioned that the XML-RPC code is currently being 'loved'.  I
> posted a comment inquiring what the nature and status of this is, but
> there was no discussion.  Pardon me if I missed the discussion here.
> So, what's the haps?
>
> My motivation for asking is that I've got a patch that implements
> MetaWeblog.newMediaObject.  If you're not familiar with the posting
> APIs, it allows you to upload files using clients like Ecto.  If you're
> into that sort of thing.

hi Adam,

The XMLRPC rewrite is something I'm responsible of, it's a rewrite to use IXR
instead of the aging phpxmlrpc code.
It's not really about the age of the code, it's mostly about cleaner, easier
code: with IXR, you can have your function return a string, and it'll know to
serve a string to the client. With phpxmlrpc, you have to declare each and
every returned value's type as a new xmlrpcval object, which really made the
code hairy.
Also, I spotted a dozen or so bugs and inconsistencies with the old xmlrpc code,
that I'm addressing with this rewrite.

As for metaWeblog.newMediaObject, the rewrite includes code for it, adapted from
a patch from mycvs.org that was originally made for the phpxmlrpc version of the
code.
Talking about newMediaObject, if anyone knows any other client for Mac that is
not Ecto and supports newMediaObject, please tell me about it so I can test
further. At the moment, my demo client in PHP can send pictures to WP, while
Ecto 1.1.8 cannot: it sends too many bytes...

Michel