[wp-hackers] Please, please PLEASE use tabs instead of spaces!

Joe Pritchard joe.pritchard at curious-hosting.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 16:39:03 UTC 2004

Spaces only look uniform if you load the source code and display it in a
non-proportional font.  If you use a proportional font then using spaces
leads to ragged formatting.

In twenty years of professional programming I've always been asked to use
tabs because they align text in any font.

Would certainly second the sue of tabs - any decent editor will allow you to
set the tab widths and settings, even on Windows (which is what I use) :-)

And it's a heck of a deal if you're maintaining other people's code - you
need all the help with layout and comments that you can get!

Joe