[wp-hackers] Localization, forum question

Goghs Cheng chenggao at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 09:33:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:15:50 -0400, Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Somebody please help this person :
> http://wordpress.org/support/3/11300
>
> who wants to know how to localize wordpress, and has a few problems.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone who has localized his/her blog or
> knows how to would write a tutorial on how to do it, aimed at
> beginners. This will be a useful addition to the existing docs.
>
> Regards,
> Carthik.

Personally I dont think it's hard to localize WP. If you mean use
different language files for users from differrent countries, it's
fairly  easy.

1. Always use UTF-8 charset for all pages
2. For all language files, save them in UTF format (most editors can
do this including notepad)

po/mo language file is not a simple solution. gettext is not supported
by all servers. many dont.