[wp-hackers] Database Abstraction

bobby at false-hopes.com bobby at false-hopes.com
Sun Aug 22 23:46:11 UTC 2004

When I initially threw out the idea of using ADODB, it was because after doing a
bit of research and asking around, I've heard much better things about ADODB
than about PEAR, especially in terms of speed. In a lot of cases PEAR tends to
be half completed and barely functional, with attempts to do everything
possible in one package. Also asking installation of various PEAR modules is a
little bit too much in my opinion. Like Keenan said, ADODB has a BSD liscense,
and can be thrown in without any newbies having to worry about it.

The best solution is definately not writing multiple pages of code for different
databases and including those as needed, because it has the potential to raise
the amount of code more, make it a bit sloppier, and make maintaing the code
harder. If someone needed their own database compatability right now, like the
postgreSQL port, that's a bit of a different story, but that is not the
solution that should be taken for every database.

I personally am interested in looking around at various other blogging/CMS
projects and seeing how they do database compatability if any at all, and what
their choices are. At this point ADODB seems like the best way to go. If anyone
has any other recommendations over ADODB and PEAR I'm all up for ideas.