[wp-hackers] Two different servers, one wp install

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Wed Aug 18 02:48:30 UTC 2004

Feel free to contact me offline if you want to discuss this in further
detail, but I'll give you the quick notes....

At the conceptual level, this is exactly what I do right now with CHAITGEAR:
my 'test' site is being locally run/hosted, and then I push code/hacks up to
my provider for 'releases'.  Content is developed up externally, with a
backup script to copy necessary tables back locally.

I have code in the config which detects what machine it is on and changes
the DB that it runs against.  Once you change the DB, everything else
changes with it.  The major issue is that, like mine, you'd need to decide
who 'owns' changes to the DB tables -- I let the external site own the world
and blast/overwrite my local tables (posts, cats, etc.) when needed.

That make sense?  So long as you are running two servers, two DBs, just
syncing a few tables is pretty easy work.

-d