[wp-hackers] posts paged

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Aug 17 04:35:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 00:13 -0400, scriptygoddess wrote:
> Someone was having a problem with my wppaginate plugin, and I've been
> able to narrow it down to the fact that it doesn't work when the
> reading options is set to posts paged.
>
> I'm hoping I can get a little help here in the way of some answers to
> some questions:
>
> 1) What does posts paged do to $posts exactly??
>
> 2) This person had their setting set to posts paged, because they also
> had $cat="1 2"; in the beginning of the page, I assume so they could
> hide certain categories (or actually, he just emailed me - it's for a
> CMS hack??) - but by doing so - if he set the reading options to just
> "posts" - it ignores the *number of posts* that it's set to display
> and dumps ALL the posts on the page. Is this a bug?? or is the problem
> with whatever CMS hack (I'm still waiting to hear from him which
> one... )

1.2 would go into "archive" display mode if $cat or a number of other
query options were set.  This meant displaying every post in the query
when in "posts" mode.  "paged" would enforce the posts per page limit
for archive pages, sometimes.  Such inconsistency and confusion are why
this has been reworked in 1.3.  The "paged" setting has been removed.
The options are simply "days" and "posts".  Posts per page is enforced
for all pages including archive pages.  posts_nav_link() is included in
the default template.  Paging is done out of the box.  Everything should
be much saner now.  Everybody go test paging in CVS to make sure I
didn't screw it up.  :-) "days" are also paged now, although there are
some "mis-features" to iron out.

Ryan