[wp-hackers] WordPress-Pg - a full PostgreSQL port of 1.2

Keenan Tims ktims at gotroot.ca
Tue Aug 17 04:56:22 UTC 2004

At the coaxing of the IRC-dwelling users, I'm announcing my port here.

I've completed a Postgres port of WordPress 1.2, which appears to be
fully working on my machine. It includes a script to convert from an
existing MySQL database for those of us out to purge the inferior RDBMS'
from our boxes ;).

WordPress-Pg will have a SourceForge page once the project is approved.
In the meantime, it's available at http://www.gotroot.ca/wordpress-pg/.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend time hacking on 1.3 as I needed
something working now.  Hopefully the source will be useful to those
attempting database independence in WordPress, and those looking to run
WordPress on something other than MySQL today.

If I were to make some suggestions, I would probably suggest that ENUMs
be abandoned in favour of either bools (in some places there are Y/N
enums; why is this necessary?) or a separate table and a join.  Most
other issues had to deal with date functions, where discrepancies are
unavoidable without abstraction, and with some aggregate functions
trying to sort or return columns that aren't part of the aggregation.
DISTINCT caused a few minor issues as well.

It's definitely not feasible to make WordPress DB independent without
redoing database access from the ground up.  If that's where WordPress
is heading, the point is moot and I shouldn't have to do another port
when 1.3 comes out ;).

Hope this improves the state of WordPress' database access, and I'd like
to hear about any bugs that are found in my code.

Ta.

--
Keenan Tims
ktims at gotroot.ca