[wp-hackers] In search of...

Ruby Sinreich ruby at lotusmedia.org
Sun Aug 15 15:45:25 UTC 2004

Hi y'all.  Thanks for all the wonderful work you do to make WordPress the
best damn blogging software!

I am looking for two functions that would improve the community on my blog
(http://OrangePolitics.org).  Although I am  not a PHP/WP developer, I am
willing to try to build them as plugins myself, but first I want to see if
they already exist.  Or at least if there is some code out there I can build
upon.

The first is an ingenious troll-control method that I heard about from
someone.  The short explanation is: the troll would see his or her comments
posted, but no-one else would.  This ensures that the other users follow the
policy of ignoring the troll, thereby depriving him or her of the
satisfaction of driving everyone else mad.  Sure they can just delete their
cookies or go to another computer and realize that no-one else sees their
comments.  I can live with that.

The second would be a simple pop-up window that allows a user to send an
email to an author or commenter, without ever seeing the actual e-mail.
This is both to ensure privacy and to avoid spam harvesting. Ideally, it
would also include a system to verify the sender's address before actually
sending the message.  Kind of like how this plugin
(http://www.skippy.net/blog/2004/04/27/plugin-comment-authorization/) does
it by sending a link to the e-mail which must be clicked on to approve the
message.

Thanks for reading.  I look forward to your advice, thoughts, whatever!

= Ruby

--
  Ruby Sinreich   ruby at lotusmedia.org   http://lotusmedia.org/blog