[wp-hackers] PHP5 and WP Development

Tor Bjornrud bjornrud at msu.edu
Wed Aug 11 18:02:35 UTC 2004

Quick question...

Any policy on when, if at all, php5 dependent code will be allowed into
the WordPress codebase?
I presume that it wouldn't be an option for at least a year or two. If
it is in the crystal ball, even very far away, are there plans to
maintain two separate forks to keep php4 users happy?

I only ask, because I'm curious if devs are excited about the php5 oo
support, and mysqli extensions that might go a long way to clean and
speed things up with WordPress.  I'd love to see wordpress be new and
shiny with the new php5 structures, but don't know if we have the
resources/drive to maintain two versions for a while.  Just curious as
to how everyone else felt.

Best,
~Tor