[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-docs] CSS and Help

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Aug 6 13:01:10 UTC 2004

Matthew Thomas said:
> It Would Be Nice(TM) if, for new (not upgrading) users, the installer
> could copy a random style sheet from a carefully maintained collection
> on the Web somewhere (like <http://csszengarden.com/> but less
> extreme), installing the packaged style sheet only if the remote
> collection was unavailable during install time.
>
> A small touch, but it would eliminate any "oh, not another khaki
> WordPress site with dodgy letter-spacing" feeling. Even just
> randomizing the colors would help.

Why make it a download-at-install time?  The user has already downloaded
something -- why should they download _more_?

Why can't we bundle two or three stylesheets in an /other/ sub-directory
with the source tarball, and allow users to immediately have some
flexibility?

What I think would _really_ help a lot of people would be:
* 1 fixed-width two-panel design
* 1 fixed-width three-panel design
* 1 fluid two-panel design
* 1 fluid three-panel design
These sample stylesheets would be color and layout only, with no images
(ie: _just_ .css files).