[wp-hackers] XHTML Strict Mode

Jamie Talbot wphackers at jamietalbot.com
Tue Aug 3 10:23:27 UTC 2004

A open question to everyone...

"Fully Standards Compliant"  - Does this mean just WP's own code and
structures, or taking into account all the poorly marked up posts and
comments a user can generate?

@Randy

It would be nice to use PHP 5's built in validation, but to require it
just to output valid code seems a little harsh, considering PHP 5 is
pretty new and hosts might be a little slow and reluctant in updating
to it.  Plus, does the validation just alert the user, or does it fix
the problems?  I would hazard a guess at the former...?

@Scott (coffee2code)

Looked at your code with interest, looks nice - I'll go and try to
break it tonight! :D  Documentation is very clear by the way, nice
one.  A few things I wondered about though, (without looking in depth
as yet)...

if($tag != 'br' && $tag != 'img' && $tag != 'hr' && $tag != 'input' &&
$tag != '')

seems a little strange.  I take it this is to ignore self-closing
tags?  It works as it is, but what about future self closing tags, or
tags you haven't thought of?  A better way IMHO would be to check for
the self closing-ness directly, - something like...

if (substr($tag, -1) == "/")

or something similar.  This would make it future proof, without having
to add to the list.

You mention it could fix the 'more' tag problem easily.  Not sure this
is the case.  I presume (tsk tsk) that you would just pop the stack
before the more tag?  I think the only way it can be done at post time
is to make a store of the unbalanced tags somewhere in the db.
Otherwise, the inserted tags would break the structure when the entire
post was displayed.  The alternative option is to divorce the 'more'
tag problem from post-time checking and do it at display-time which I
originally thought was a good idea, but now am not so sure of.  More
at mosquito bug 178.

Balance Tags should also probably remove multiple instances of
the 'more' tag as it causes any text after the second tag to not be
displayed in "get-the-content" due to the explode(content) line.
Mosquito bug 113.

Like you say, this doesn't sort out wp-autop problems.  I was thinking
more along the lines of taking all the formatting code (balance tags,
wp-autop, 'more' handling, etc..) and tying them all together in one
go.  It makes sense to me at least to have all the code to format text
in one place, even if the only reason is future manageability.  This
would involve a substantial rewrite though, with alterations to a
couple of files.  Your code could easily be used a base for this.

Will go away and look again at this, and try to get back to you with
feedback tomorrow. (Japan time!)

Jamie.

--
http://www.jamietalbot.com/

>From: Scott Reilly <coffee2code at scottreilly.net>
>To: hackers at wordpress.org
>Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] XHTML Strict Mode
>Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:07:33 -0400
>
>For my (now late) contribution to WP Patch Day, I believe I've
actually fixed
>most of the WP code related to balancing tags.  There are quite a
number of
>situations in which the tag balancer will (a) eat user text before it
reaches
>the database, (b) improperly balance tags, (c) not balance tags given
>certain scenario, (d) try to balance an HTML comment with '</>' (in
certain
>scenarios).
>
>The fixed balancer could also (with a one-line addition) be used to
balance
>text prior to <!--more--> upon request.
>
>I'm trying to write up extensive documentation on what changes I made
and why
>I made them.  Anyone willing to volunteer to review the code when I'm
done
>and/or use it yourself to ensure that my changes didn't just fix the
problem
>scenarios I discovered while unbeknownst-to-me breaking other
scenarios?

>By no means, though, do my changes make it a true XHTML validator.
Merely a