[wp-hackers] XHTML Strict Mode

Jamie Talbot wphackers at jamietalbot.com
Mon Aug 2 16:11:03 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm new to the list and have read most of the archives, but if this a
repetition sorry!

One of Matt's wishes on the PatchDay Wiki is an XML parser to check
for post and comment validity.  I was wondering what, if any, work is
being done in this area.  I've been having a look at some of the bugs
in Mosquito to do with unbalanced tags, problems with wp-autop and
errors caused by the use of the 'more' tag.  Although I think there
are individual solutions to each of these problems, it would probably
be best to combine them all together and roll out a combined validity
checker / corrector.

I'd be happy to begin working on this, and wanted to encourage some
discussion in this area.

So, a few questions:

What should Strict mode mean?  Unbalanced tags only or full blown
validity checking?  Should the user be alerted or should it be done
silently?  There is a discussion about what to do with 'more' tags in
bug 0000098 in Mosquito.  Opinions welcomed on that too...

Is anyone working on this at the moment?  If not, is there anyone who
wants to collaborate on it?  It could be an involved process, so the
more the merrier!

Let me know your thoughts...

Jamie.

PS, for those interested:

WHO:     Jamie Talbot
WHOELSE: majelbstoat
WHAT:    Expat English Teacher in Japan.
WHERE:   http//www.jamietalbot.com/
WHY:     knowledge, keeping my programming skills up, a warm fuzzy
feeling, and fun (eep!)
HOW:     Mostly an internet cafe in Japan with a messed up charmap!