[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #8550: "Invitations" tab visible to users when they're not able to send invitations.

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 21 04:39:39 UTC 2021

#8550: "Invitations" tab visible to users when they're not able to send
invitations.
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  niftythree    |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by imath):

 * keywords:   => 2nd-opinion
 * version:  9.0.0 => 1.0
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 10.0.0

Comment:

 Thanks for your feedback @niftythree I now fully understand the issue. I
 agree we should improve this part of the Groups invite feature.

 Historically Groups invite required the Friends component to be active. BP
 Nouveau added an exception to this allowing members to invite any others.

 If we use BP Legacy having the friends component inactive:
 - The single Group invite nav is not showing ✅
 - The Group settings create screen is showing a setting to let the Group
 creator choose which Group roles can invite people ❌
 - The single Member's Pending invites nav is showing (what you reported)
 ❌

 If we use BP Nouveau it's not possible to disable the Groups Invite
 feature even if we do `add_filter(
 'bp_nouveau_groups_disallow_all_members_invites', '__return_true' );` ❌
 Using this filter is only making an effect when the friends component is
 active.

 We should fix red crosses 🤔. @dcavins I'd like to have your opinion about
 it. What do you think?

--