[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #8585: "Sorry you are not allowed to access this page." when saving settings in the admincp

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 9 18:34:38 UTC 2021

#8585: "Sorry you are not allowed to access this page." when saving settings in
the admincp
 Reporter:  llewen        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Core          |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
 What is happening is when I try to make a change to the Components section
 in BuddyPress settings, I get the infamous “Sorry, you are not allowed to
 access this page.” when I try to save the settings and the settings do not
 take effect.

 I am able to successfully enable and disable settings on the Options tab.

 I have followed all the steps on several sites that talk about sorting
 this error, including reinstalling WordPress, deactivating all plugins,
 enabling debugging, using the default theme, regenerating permalinks, etc.
 etc.

 The account has administrator role, and bbp_keymaster capabilities, from
 my attempt to fix the problem by installing bbPress. Deleting the database
 and starting over is not an option, even though this is a new site, I
 already have content.

 What is odd is, when I get the error in WordPress, there are no
 corresponding PHP or Apache errors, and when I enable debugging, no errors
 are logged.

 The only explanation I can come up with is that I have enabled IPv6/dual
 stack support on my network and it appears that the connection IP from my
 account isn’t consistent. Sometimes it connects with the IPv4 address,
 sometimes with the IPv6 address. That’s the only odd thing I can see in
 the Apache logs.

 Site URL: https://displaced.zone

     WordPress Version: 5.8.1
     Directory install in root directory
     Upgraded from WordPress 5.7.1
     WordPress functions properly, other than this one problem
     BuddyPress Version: 9.1.1
     Not upgraded from a previous version
     Other Plugins: BP Better Messages, Comments Like Dislike, Top Bar, WP
 Cerber Security, WP Mail SMTP
     Theme: NS Minimal with minor css tweaks
     Core files have not been modified in any way
     No custom functions
     bbPress not installed, although I did install it to see if it would
 fix the problem
     No server error logs, which is weird
     Self hosted on a home network. I’m not a novice at this, I have done
 this for years, including a previous WordPress website where I had
 BuddyPress installed in the same environment, and did not have this issue.
 The only thing that has changed is the IPv6 support.
     Server OS: Debian GNU/Linux, Bullseye, typical LAMP stack
     I have tried both the Legacy and Nouveau BuddyPress themes
     I have made no changes to BuddyPress template files
     The only other information that might have a bearing on this is that I
 am not running WordPress “The Debian Way”. I have copied all the files,
 including the symlinked php libraries, out of the Debian file structure
 and am running them out of a folder in my home directory. Apache is
 running as that group and user. But again, I have done this for an entire
 year, successfully, with another website. Running WordPress this way
 allows me to use the built in WordPress update system, which doesn’t
 function as expected if you run WordPress “The Debian Way”.

 I should add to this that I get the same error whether I connect with the
 IPv4 or the IPv6 address.

 Other things I’ve tried to fix this:

     disabling ModSecurity
     disabling PHP and Apache caching

 PHP version is 7.4.

 So now I’ve completely nuked the database, deleted the installation,
 reinstalled from official download tar.gz except for the .htaccess and wp-
 config.php. The only plugin installed and active is BuddyPress, and I am
 still having the same problem.

 I’m now going through php.ini to see if there is anything there that might
 be causing this.

 It’s also worth noting that the WordPress health screen shows no problems.
 So I’m stumped.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8585>