[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #8148: Extend WordPress Plugins screen to allow Admins to easily install features as a plugin (was: Adapt BuddyPress settings to allow Admins to easily install features as a plugin)

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Dec 5 14:20:56 UTC 2021

#8148: Extend WordPress Plugins screen to allow Admins to easily install features
as a plugin
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  imath                 |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement           |      Status:  new
Changes (by imath):

 * keywords:  needs-refresh => has-patch needs-docs

Comment:

 In
 [https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/8148/8148.2.patch
 8148.2.patch], I'm suggesting to make things easier as a first step. The
 patch is simply adding a new patch to the Add Plugins WP Admin Screen to
 list the features as plugin such as the BP Rewrites (which should be ready
 a bit before our 10.0.0 release. Here's a screenshot of how it looks:

 [[Image(https://cldup.com/tBS7FLup2s.png)]]

 The trick to have our plugins/blocks populate the list is to use the
 [https://profiles.wordpress.org/buddypress/ `buddypress` WP.org account]
 to favorite them. Unfortunately the Plugins API is not providing an
 "include" argument. The benefit of using favorites will be that we'll be
 able to update the list without updating BuddyPress.

 @johnjamesjacoby could you use this account to favorite
 [https://wordpress.org/plugins/bp-beta-tester/ BP Beta Tester] so that we
 can have 1 plugin into the list 😉 ?

 We'll probably need to create a specific page on the codex to explain what
 is a feature as a plugin copying
 [https://make.wordpress.org/core/features/ this one's text] for example.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8148#comment:14>