[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #7376: UX confusion: Inconsistent definitions of activity in members loop template functions

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 5 20:07:55 UTC 2016

#7376: UX confusion: Inconsistent definitions of activity in members loop template
functions
 Reporter:  ryanrain     |      Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  Templates    |    Version:  2.7.2
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
 hey all!
 a client recently brought to my attention what she considers to be a bug:
 in places such as the members loop and member profile headers, some users
 are reported to have been active, but, confusingly, that activity is not
 shown.

 looking around in the code, it appears that the bp_member_last_active()
 function includes lotsa different kinds of activity (eg. activity
 comments) in its calculation of how much time has passed since the user
 interacted with the site, but then the  bp_member_latest_update() function
 seems to not include forum replies or activity comments etc., just
 updates.

 I'm filing this ticket to argue that functions used in the member loop
 should have a consistent, common definition of which kinds of activity
 should be considered and shown. My client asked that i make the site
 include latest activity comments in the members loop, but i'm not sure if
 that would be best as default buddypress behaviour since comments
 sometimes make no sense out of context. eg. "yeah, i totally agree!"

 this started as a [https://buddypress.org/support/topic/last_activity-
 empty-in-members-loop/#post-261694](support request) for advice as to how
 to print out a user’s most recent activity regardless of its type? Can
 anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks everyone!

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7376>