[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6388: Groups single item home : improve the way we deal with custom front and activity component

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 1 14:39:23 UTC 2015

#6388: Groups single item home : improve the way we deal with custom front and
activity component
----------------------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  imath                             |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  new

Comment (by imath):

 Forget about my funky 6388.04.patch and this
 [https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6388#comment:13 comment] (i
 was very blind!).

 I just opened my eyes and find a much better solution to the potentiel
 backcompat issue!

 In this patch we're editing the activity post-form template and the
 group's home template. So as i've said earlier (i wasn't completely
 blind), if these templates were overridden and not updated once this patch
 gets in (I pray for 2.4!!!), then we meet points 2 & 3 described
 [https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6388#comment:12 here]

 Imho if point 3 happens it's the site admin's fault! Because if he wants
 to use the template hierarchy we're introducing, it's his responsability
 to update his group's home templates. We just need to put in CAPITALS
 STRONG: "before using the front template hierarchy update your
 templates!!!" into the codex article :)

 So point 2 is the one we need to fix and 6388.05.patch is fixing it in a
 very simple way!

 i'm just using a fallback on `bp_is_group()` to set the object and the
 item_id of the activity if the corresponding `$_POST` vars didn't make it
 ''(because the administrator/theme designer forgot to update the activity
 post form..)''

 So i say, let's commit 6388.05.patch and have great groups front page in
 2.4 :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6388#comment:16>