[buddypress-trac] [BuddyPress Trac] #6428: When a user updates nickname in profile-edit first_name and last_name is cleared

buddypress-trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat May 9 16:15:10 UTC 2015

#6428: When a user updates nickname in profile-edit first_name and last_name is
cleared
 Reporter:  thomasoriis   |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  API           |    Version:  2.2.3
 Severity:  critical      |   Keywords:  needs-patch
 Nickname clears first_name and last_name.

 To reproduce the bug -
 1) goto page /members/<user>/profile/edit/group/1/
 2) update value of nickname
 3) save
 4) Goto user profile in the backend and notice that first_name and
 last_name is empty.

 I have an idea to solve the issue. If first_name and last_name is added to
 the form I think it will solve the issue.
 The root cause is as I see it is that: wp_insert_user expects that
 first_name and last_name is set else they are set to '' blank.

 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.2.2/src/wp-
 includes/user.php#L0] check line 1919

 This line: $first_name = empty( $userdata['first_name'] ) ? '' :
 $userdata['first_name'];  same goes for last_name.

 However user should be able to deside if first_name and last_name should
 be visible to other users.

--
Ticket URL: <https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6428>